Send me to Vancouver!

I'm off to the World Peace Forum in Vancouver at the end of June. I'll be having a fund-raising evening of songs and stories in Coventry in a few weeks (email me for more details).

Meanwhile, if you'd like to help me with the fare, please go right ahead. Click the button below to donate online:

Debit/Credit cards accepted!


About Me

My name’s Alan Sprung and I was born in Coventry, England on the 16th March 1950.

I’ve been writing my own songs since about 1995. I like to write songs that encourage people to think about social and political issues that I believe are important.

I still live in Coventry with my partner, Maggie Holdsworth, and we have two lovely daughters - Ella, who was born in 1983 and Eppie, who was born in 1986.

If you need to contact me you can email me at the following address:

AlanSprung at Care4free dot net

Hope you find a song that means something to you.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial2.5 License.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Life of a Man

I once knew a man much older than I am
Who grew in a world where a man was a man
He worked all his life, with his hands, in a factory
And he tried, how he tried, just to be a good man

When he was younger his parents were so proud
They nurtured, with care, their new little man
And comic-book stories, friends and relations
All helped to show him the ways of the man

They taught him to fight but to never get frightened
Keep a lid on your feelings, be brave little man
Don’t show your tears to the eyes of your enemies
‘Cos it’s kill-or-be-killed when you’ll be a man

Well maybe you think that you already know him
Maybe you think that you’re wise to this man
But stop for a moment and hear his full story
What it was like when they made him a man

The fighting, the torment, the sad isolation
The pain that’s inflicted by man upon man
There’s no room left for the warmth and the closeness
So much between brothers is lost to the man

But he passed to me all the love he could muster
Through the sensitive arms of a hard-working man
‘Cos he knew in his heart of the pain in the old ways
And he offered his children a new kind of man

So I won’t let you blame him for what was done to him
By a world that insisted that he be a man
And I’ll stand beside him, I’ll treasure and guide him
Together we’ll search and we’ll find a new man

So the next time you see him act out the old ways
Remember what went into making this man
Try to see past all the pain and the anger
Try’n get in touch with the love in that man

‘Cos he’s more than a tool in the rush for production
He feels all the feelings that all people can
And he don’t want to kill, or be killed like the old days
‘Cos there’s no need for hate in the life of a man

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home