Send me to Vancouver!

I'm off to the World Peace Forum in Vancouver at the end of June. I'll be having a fund-raising evening of songs and stories in Coventry in a few weeks (email me for more details).

Meanwhile, if you'd like to help me with the fare, please go right ahead. Click the button below to donate online:

Debit/Credit cards accepted!


About Me

My name’s Alan Sprung and I was born in Coventry, England on the 16th March 1950.

I’ve been writing my own songs since about 1995. I like to write songs that encourage people to think about social and political issues that I believe are important.

I still live in Coventry with my partner, Maggie Holdsworth, and we have two lovely daughters - Ella, who was born in 1983 and Eppie, who was born in 1986.

If you need to contact me you can email me at the following address:

AlanSprung at Care4free dot net

Hope you find a song that means something to you.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial2.5 License.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Breaking Down Walls

I’d like to tell a story ‘bout some friends of mine
They had the best of schooling, drank the very best of wine
It’s a true-life story of some real good friends of mine
But a story you may not know

They were born into a social class unknown to you and me
Fine clothes, big houses, they had wealth and property
Their people ordered working folk to cook and mend and clean
In a world headed up by their queen

But there were high walls, built for isolation
And there was precious little love, it’s hard to imagine

Their early years brought all the things their family’s wealth could buy
But their parents found it hard to show them closeness when they tried
Their cleaners, cooks and nannies were their one real source of joy
They seemed to treasure every girl and boy

By the age of twelve they’d all been sent to boarding school
Far away from home and all the people that they knew
Special schools for princes and the privileged
They were told, “It’s only the very best for you”

Abandoned by their families, removed from those they loved
Forced to hide their feelings, misinformed by those above
Told they were superior and drip-fed year on year
They were left with arrogance and fear

So counting down the days at school, surviving best they could
They tried to help each other out as any humans would
But this long and scary ordeal left it’s mark and damaged them
Some would never be the same again

So why would any parent put a child through all this pain
It’s hard to understand just what they’d think they’d have to gain
But when you stop to think how parents do the best they can
It makes you wonder how their young lives began

So, if you come across them ask them how it was for them
Sit and listen to them, show them all the love you can
Remember not to blame them, let them know they’re not alone
Stand by them and welcome them home

Break down those high walls, end their isolation
Break down those walls and welcome them home
Welcome them home, welcome them home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home